The origins of the Lefebvre brewery, located at Quenast (in the Brabant region of Wallonia, the French speaking district of Belgium) in the valley of the Senne, goes back to 1876. In this year, Jules Lefebvre, gamekeeper, farmer, inn keeper and brewer, inaugurated his new brewery. Pubs were opened around the neighbouring porphyry quarries so that the numerous workmen, made thirsty by stone working, could come to refresh themselves.
In 1921, just after the First World War, Auguste Lefebvre, son of Jules, moved the brewery from the centre of the village towards a neighbouring hill in order to avoid the annual floods of the Seine. The new brewery was installed in place of a brewery that had been in bankruptcy, in the location where the present buildings are.
In 1983, the Abbey of Floreffe entrusted the Lefebvre family with a licence for the brewing of its special beers. The range, including 3 beers at the beginning, quickly widens to 5. Starting with the Floreffe Double, Floreffe Triple and Floreffe Prima Melior, the Floreffe Blonde and Floreffe Blanche are soon added to the range.
In 1996, the brewery innovates and launches Barbãr, a lager with honey. Its little sister, Barbãr brassin d’hiver, brewed from October to February, also follows soon after.
Six generations young, the Lefebvre brewery remains above all a family business. Unceasingly in expansion, they mainly work with overseas countries by exporting more than 80% of their production.